Tuesday, March 29, 2005

let me preface this by simply saying....[censored] [censored] hell goddamn it all and back again.

ok...now on to the red meat.

I'm pro-life - I don't believe in Republicans anymore - they're corporate whores and crony politicians, but I am against the death penalty, and I am morally opposed to abortion. (though I think the best way to decrease abortions is to let kids know about safe sex, which the religious right disallows, of course) Francais Schaffer once talked about the slippery slope that euthanasia can become as well. We condemn old people to nursing homes already against their will, and if euthanasia becomes law, the same pressures will be inflicted on the aged to "ease the burden of their family by moving on out of sight and mind"

When the Bushies/Religious Right came out demanding Terri's feeding tube be put back in, I treated it with the healthy dose of bullshit it deserves. Hypocrites. Liars. Bullshitters. - And fortunately, it seems like they overstepped their bounds and it'll backfire on their ass.

But Al Sharpton made a good point arguing with Republicans. How come they want to err on the side of life here, but not in cases like the death penalty? -

This isn't about living wills (if you want one, go for it - she doesn't have one) - It's obvious the husband has moved on at this point - the parents haven't. - Why he didn't just divorce her and let the parents have her is beyond my understanding, but it is irrelevant to this stance.

but something in me is just saying "nope...shouldn't be starving her to death" - and esp. if she could be spoon-fed, which it sounds like is possible. A stance on the sanctity of life should be across the board as much as possible - including in matters of war, death penalty, the unborn, and those too weak to keep living unassisted.

We do not make dependance on others a condition for life. We don't do it with the newly born, who are as helpless as Terri for several months, and we can't morally do it here.

Will she ever rehabilitate? - Nah...probably not. Will my moral stance with the Republicans who use her as a political tool be repaid with a revised look at the death penalty? - Nope.... - Am I scared that if I am in this condition, idiots will consider it their God Given right to keep me stuck on this miserable ball with people like them for 20 more years? - Yah, not happy about that.

Is it what she wants? - I don't know. Like I say, a living will is one thing....hearsay is another.

But I can't take a pro life stance on so many things and not here. We're not talking about assisted breathing, or heart beats - just the strength to put food in her body. Hell, if she's a veggie, it won't matter if she's around for 20 more yrs. anyways... we waste a lot of other stuff on healthcare.

So, it is with great thought that I have to disagree with what's happening in Florida. I can't change it, and only God knows what the outcome will be, but I have to believe in the sanctity of life across the board, and not just when it's politically expedient or when it is a stance a political party agrees with.

Having said that.... [censored] the Republicans to hell for using her as a pawn to get more votes. - assholes.

but I gotta side with life on this one. Took me a few days to come to that conclusion, but that's the way it goes.

RB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home