Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I had a dream about Townes Van Zandt last night...

I dreamed there was a stage…. I dreamed there were minefields and walls between the bar/audience and the stage – and we musicians were on one side and everyone else was on the other side

It wasn’t my band, but I was on the stage side….and then I looked over…I saw a young Steve Earle trying to negotiate a truce, and the I saw an old Townes at the bar..and I snuck out of the stage side, past the minefield on the left, and sat by Townes

It was a very old Townes, drinking Manhattan’s (whatever they are) and scribbling in a notebook – and he talked to me and I was so stunned that a deceased guy was talking to me…..my favorite hero talking to me thru the afterlife...

And then…I introduced him to someone else…I don’t remember who it was, but it was another Van Zandt….truth be known…I think I introduced the old guy to the young fresh faced guy…...the young un-addicted Townes Van Zandt....fresh faced, flirting, and uninhibited by alcohol

And then as time went by, I remember the old Townes turning younger…I think Townes got better as the band got on stage and played..(the band was Moondaze, BTW) – and he was as he used to be before he drank his life away....

I don’t know what it means…but I hope Townes is still writing songs….young, angelic, and free....I miss ya, Townes..

RB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home